Sometimes it take a crisis for us to take a good hard look at our habits. COVID19 is an opportunity to make a commitment to taking better care of ourselves. In this interview Jim shares why a clean diet is so critical to your immune system and other lifestyle changes you can make at this time to help you increase your resiliency and vitality.
Quarantine is a great time to establish new healthy habits since you dont have the distraction of traveling, employee lunches, happy hours and office candy bowls.
Unfortunately alcohol sales are at an all time high right now, people are snacking all day, getting excessive screentime, not exercising and gaining the “quarantine 15.” This all triggers inflammation in the body-chemistry making the system more susceptible to attack by cold and flu virus’ and bugs.
So what can you do to take control of your health during this time? Defense if the best offense. Set yourself up for success by:
- Eating more plants and vegetables which are alkalizing foods
- Avoid refined sugars which can impact your immune system
- Exercise – look up short tabata style workouts that can be done even in small spaces. Try to break a sweat daily.
- Manage your fear, anxiety and worry which can spike your stress response and your cravings for sweets and comfort foods, and affect your sleep
- Get 7-9hrs of sleep
- Protect your gut with a probiotic – 70-80% of your immune system is actually in your gut!
- Eat more gut nourishing foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, leafy greens, plain oatmeal, apples etc.
- Consider time restrictive eating to work with your natural circadian rhythm. Try 16:8 or 12:12
Watch the full interview below
(Watch time 13:30)